A FEW OF THE MOST COMMON QUESTIONS I GET ASKED.
If you have additional questions feel free to email me! firstname.lastname@example.org
1. HOW DO I BUY AN ORIGINAL? I create as many paintings as possible and release them in collections on my website a few times per year. This will be well advertised before hand via social media, my blog, and mailing list. These paintings tend to go pretty quickly, so be sure to be prompt!
Originals will be available here.
2. CAN I COMMISSION A PAINTING? I have decided to take a break from commissions so that I can create more available artwork for my collectors and follow my creative path naturally. I plan to create a large body of work throughout the year (large and small pieces) so stay tuned for the piece that speaks to you! If this ever changes, I'll be announcing it to my email list first, so be sure to stay tuned to those emails!
3. PRINT QUALITY & DETAILS: All reproductions in my shop are Giclee reproductions and are created using a huge, very fancy printer that uses a wide range of inks applied so finely you cannot see the dpi a bit and are very long-lasting. They are printed on flat artist canvas and can be matted, dry-mounted, or stretched over wooden stretcher bars. The prints are frequently mistaken for originals. The prints are cut by hand as to avoid damage from a cutter blade/clamps and there is no white border left around the image.
All Giclee Reproductions are printed to order by a local printing house and take 7-10 days to arrive back in our studio, then we scurry to cut, package, and ship them to you asap.
Just a note about displaying your prints: Please do not use tape (including washi tape) on the front of your new print as it will pull the pigment from the canvas. There. You have been warned! Eep!
4. FRAMING: Download my Free Framing Guide! So many useful resources, advice, and inspiration.
In short, I highly encourage framing all your prints and originals. Not only do they look incredibly beautiful framed, but it will help to protect your fresh artwork from wear and dust. I do not currently offer framing from my studio, but I do have a few recommendations! Get the full guide here: online custom framers, places to buy beautiful “ready-made” frame that look nearly custom, & all the tips and tricks I use!
DON’T FORGET THE MAT. Seriously. Matting your print will make it look SO much more legit and elegant.
OR you can “gallery wrap” the piece and display it in a “floater frame” (this is when the frame seems to hover alongside the edge of the canvas artwork.). You MUST purchase varnish + an extra white margin if you’re going to do this with your canvas print.
5. YOU WOULD LIKE A LARGER PRINT? The sizes listed are the largest sizes I am able to create. The image quality and the delicacy of the details are very important to me and add to the value of my work. You are going to be amazed when you see your large print in person! They literally fool me sometimes they look SO MUCH like originals. Especially if you add varnish to your piece!
If you are interested in filling a super large area of your wall with my artwork (which is awesome - thank you!!) I recommend putting together a collection of 3-4 pieces. I offer collector discounts on multiple prints. Email email@example.com to discuss that!
6. HOW IS MY ARTWORK GOING TO BE SHIPPED?
Oil paintings take a substantial amount of time to dry. I will not ship a painting before it is ready to be tightly packaged (4-7 weeks from painting completion).
All artwork is wrapped in paper, padded extremely well, and sent in a well-fitting sturdy cardboard box.
Most artwork will ship via USPS or UPS, and most packages arrive within 2-4 days (domestic) from time of shipping (includes tracking & insurance). International shipments will be sent via USPS or other carrier. International buyers, please note that shipping charges may vary from the amount you pay at checkout. Please email me with questions or to get an estimate.
Artwork larger than 50 inches is sent un-stretched and rolled safely in a sturdy tube. We will then work with a local framer to build the support bars and stretch the canvas. This usually costs between $100-200 depending on the size and location.
If you prefer to ship your large painting fully stretched we will use a freight service to expertly handle the painting and deliver it right to your living room ($300-500).
All prints are handled with the utmost care, packaged beautifully in paper or plastic sleeve.
Prints 11x14 and smaller are mailed in a sturdy flat mailer while prints 16x20 and larger are mailed in a thick tube.
Shipped via USPS 1st Class Mail or Priority Mail (usually arrives within 1-3 days within the US).
Shipping costs are calculated at checkout based on package weight and distance. If there is any discrepancy -/+ we will let you know via email.
International packages are a bit outside of my control. Border fees, duties, and handling fees may be charged by other countries. Tracking is also quite unreliable with international shipments. That being said, I mail packages internationally every single week with great success overall!
Shipping costs cover fees, packaging supplies, time, labor, and storage.
7. CAN I PICK UP MY ARTWORK FROM YOUR STUDIO? Absolutely! You are also welcome & encouraged to pick up your original artwork in person at my studio in Greenville, South Carolina. Use the code "StudioPickup" at checkout to forgo shipping fees altogether and we will work out a time to meet via email. You may contact us to set up a time at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that my studio hours are rather limited, as I am juggling three small children and a very full workload, but we can usually make it work (especially for original oil paintings!).
8. RETURNS: Every order, commission, and sale is handled with care and as much clarity and transparency as possible. My goal is for you to be completely thrilled with your purchase! Please read about our return policy here for more information on the process.
9. WORKSHOPS & CLASSES: I love to host painting workshops and retreats at destination locations and in my studio! These creative retreats happen about 1-3 times a year, and each is more refreshing and creatively energizing than the last! (sign up for my mailing list to stay up to date on those). Learn more about the retreats I co-host with my studiomate, Julie Dodds, at www.WillowGathering.com These retreats are pure magic, imho!
10. STOCKISTS & GALLERIES: I am honored you would like my artwork on your walls and in your shop! Gallery owners, please send me an email to discuss your gallery and ideas. email@example.com
11. INTERIOR DESIGNERS: I love working with designers because I love it when my artwork lives in a fine looking room! I offer designers a discount on Giclee prints. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can set up a specific coupon code for you to use frequently. I do not offer discounts on original paintings nor do I allow my work to be marked up without consent.
12. PRESS: I love working with bloggers, editors, stylists, and writers! There are many images on my site that you are free to use for your article. Please credit both me & my photographers. If you have any questions, please email me! email@example.com I am always open to interviews and love sharing my story with the world!
WHO ACTUALLY OWNS THE PAINTING?
I retain all rights to all artwork I create. This includes the rights to the image of sold & commissioned original paintings. I retain the right to make REPRODUCTIONS OF ANY AND ALL ARTWORK I CREATE UNLESS THE COLLECTOR HAS PURCHASED THE FULL OR PARTIAL RIGHTS TO THE ARTWORK (this is in addition to purchasing the original).
The Collector or buyer may not reproduce the artwork in any way without written permission.
If the artwork ends up being reproduced in a magazine or other media I only ask for credit (and congratulations! that means your home is super beautiful!).
When you purchase an original painting you, the collector, have the right to display the artwork in your home or business (hooray!) but the artwork may not be resold or reproduced without my written permission.
Please let me know if you are interested in purchasing full or partial rights to your painting. Some collectors choose to purchase my right to reproduce the artwork to ensure it will never become a print. I am totally happy to discuss that with you if you would like!